Saturday, June 8, 2013

Reasons why I like the iPhone and won't switch to Android

This blog is not a techie blog... At least not yet.

However, I will be posting the occasional blog about technology related stuff.  My house has, at last count, 5 iPhones, 2 iPads, a couple iPods somewhere in a drawer.  But we're all PC people for our desktop computers.

I'm hoping that the new iOS 7 update will be decent.  However, even if it sucks, I won't switch to the Samsung Galaxy.  I do acknowledge that the OS on that phone, Android, does look real slick.  However, we've got hundreds of dollars committed to apps that we've purchased already for our array of iPhones/iPads, and it'd just be too cumbersome to switch. There's something to be said about syncing with iCloud, and being able to download the same app on multiple devices, and pay only once.

While the Android phones do look slick, I'm already committed to the iPhone in a big way, and if I got the Galaxy IV, then I'd be out of the eco-system.  I also know some of my favorite apps are not on the Android.

For example, Action Movie FX. This app, if you like action movies, is a MUST for any aficionado of that genre. It is ridiculously simple. You select the FX, (recent FX - Star Trek warp or transporter) take a short 10 second video, then scroll the FX in, and load. Takes 2 minutes and some of them are unreal.  Take a look at some of my videos. This playlist has several.

I do wish that the photo stream feature included video, because we like to do video a lot and want to input it into iMovie.  Hard to take it on the phone and then put it in the iPad without a huge cumbersome process. I've tried uploading it into dropbox and putting it on the iPad, but its a hassle.

I jailbroke my iPhone (the only one of all five) and with that, increased the functionality significantly.  I don't know how I could go back to a non-jailbroken phone now. With the jailbreak, I'm able to put more programs on the lock screen. I'm also able to make the lock screen look different, like fold up rather than slide to the right.  There are other programs that allow me to slide up the screen to see the active programs rather than having to double-click the home button.  I can also slide from left to right or right to left from one app to another (like using four fingers to slide on the iPad). This comes in real handy and numerous others.  It really adds to the customization of the phone in a big way.

No comments:

Post a Comment