Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Sarina's Sephardic Cuisine - almost done!

I just sent in more comments and feedback to the developer.

Initially, they had a very awkward search function.  You could only search within a category. For example, you have to select a category, like dairy or pastries. Then you can filter based on how its tagged, i.e. meat, parve, dairy or beginner, intermediate, or hard.  I didn't like that.  I couldn't for example, find all meat recipes across all categories.  I have to go into each individual one to search for that.

Also, we make a lot of references to other recipes within the app, and they're not always using english names, so it can be hard to find them.  We want you to be able to type the name and then it'll find it for you or give you a list.   We were not happy with the search function, so we paid a significant amount to have them work on this.

This has dragged on for almost 9 months now.  We're getting very frustrated because the turn around is long.  This time, we put down a deadline, we want it back by July 15th so we can submit it to the app store. We intend to have it launched and ready to go live on August 15th.  Rosh Hashanah comes very early, so we want to launch it around the holiday and promote it like crazy between now and then.

We're told that its about 2-4 week turnaround time for the App Store to approve first time apps, which is why we want it there within the next couple weeks.  Lets hope this time around its perfect!  I feel like the design could be better, but the money isn't there to do that. I hope this makes us enough money so that we can pay for a significant upgrade in the capabilities of the app.

I'm just nervous, I feel like this is a project we've worked on for 18 months, and I hope it goes well. Don't want people to criticize it and give us bad ratings on the app store.

In the meantime, I've been posting several times a day on twitter and on facebook.  Our numbers are slowly creeping up on facebook.  We just passed 500 likes recently.  But twitter has been stubbornly in the low 30s for weeks now.  I know its cuz we didn't post much initially.  I hope that once we go live, that will grow.  I just have to keep plugging along there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment